Yes, Virginia, 2 DOES equal 1!
Are you ready for this? A proof that 2 = 1! Now, don’t freak out, all you need is to be able to follow elementary Algebra. I’ll help you along the way. Here goes:
1) Let a = b (A legitimate assumption one can make in Mathematics)
2) a^2 = ab (Multiply both sides by a)
3) a^2 – b^2 = ab – b^2 (Subtract b^2 from both sides)
4) (a – b)(a + b) = b(a – b) (Factoring)
5) a + b = b (Divide both sides by (a – b)
6) b + b = b (Substitution, remember step 1?)
7) 2b = b (Simplifying step 6)
8) 2 = 1 !!! (Divide both sides by b)
And there you have it, sort of shakes you up a bit, no? If one can prove that 2 = 1, imagine what other fundamental truths can be undone? This defies logic, order and everything mathematical and yet, there it is. Can you discover the fallacy? I’m not going to give it away too soon but …. if you need a hint, reread my previous blog.
Coming up….. a change of pace from Math to ….. Something else!